74 replies to this topic

#61 louisianaeoy

louisianaeoy

Drag Queen

• PipPipPipPip
  • 261 posts
  • Drag Name:Victoria Van Cartier

Posted 24 September 2009 - 06:44 AM

The first two drag queens that I remember was when I first came out was Sweet Savage and Whitney Paige. Sweet Savage use to MC a talent night at The Wave in Dallas, TX and Whitney sometimes would stand in for her when she was out of town. This was probably around 1990 ish...... Boy those were the days......
Robert Gibson

#62 RobJr

RobJr

Goddess

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,567 posts
  • Drag Name:Becca

Posted 25 September 2009 - 01:48 PM

My first drag queen was Victoria West in Corpus Christi a place called Jolly Jack. My First Pageant was Miss Gay TX USofA 1990. That was the yr that Amanda Hall won. I also remember in Houston seeing the Fab 4 in Houston..Donna Day,Hot Chocolate, Naomi Sims, and Tasha....Those were the days in TX... /biggrin.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':(' />

Robert
"Love Don't live here anymore"

#63 BobTaylor

BobTaylor

Goddess

• 4,906 posts
  • Drag Name:bob taylor

Posted 25 September 2009 - 02:11 PM

My first drag queen was Victoria West in Corpus Christi a place called Jolly Jack. My First Pageant was Miss Gay TX USofA 1990. That was the yr that Amanda Hall won. I also remember in Houston seeing the Fab 4 in Houston..Donna Day,Hot Chocolate, Naomi Sims, and Tasha....Those were the days in TX... :(

Robert

Now that is some history right there! :D

#64 louisianaeoy

louisianaeoy

Drag Queen

• PipPipPipPip
  • 261 posts
  • Drag Name:Victoria Van Cartier

Posted 26 September 2009 - 05:05 AM

My first Pageant was MGA 1993 when Leslie Rage won....That was a contest.....
Robert Gibson

#65 The Dresser

The Dresser

Drag Princess

• PipPipPip
  • 103 posts

Posted 01 October 2009 - 02:38 PM

Mine was Jasmine Skiies from Sarasota Florida. She was amazing and I admired her strength, class, and talent. I was lucky to be under her wings for a small time. I miss her often and have been fortunate that I have regained contact with her. All I can say, She was a good mother, a great friend, and an excellent entertainer.

#66 Gay Brent

Gay Brent

Goddess

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,846 posts

Posted 01 October 2009 - 03:31 PM

Picture it, Tampa, FL, 1996. A very lonely United States Marine walking along the forbidden 7th Ave in Ybor City going to a Gay Club called Traxx El Goya. He walks in, pay's cover, and proceeds to a very crowded room that had a mixture of straights and gays. The room has a stage and on that stage was a performer that was BODY BEAUTIFUL in his eyes. Her hair was Red, long and curly. Her skin was perfectly tanned. Her costume, lack there of was flashy. She was AMAZING!!!!

Ladies and gent's, that Marine was me and the performer on stage was Esme Russell. I swore I was watching a female stripper perform. I was sooooooo upset. I honestly dind't know that it was a Female Impersonation show until the MC came out, which was Joey Brooks. That night I became such a fan of this wonderful industry. I met the most beautiful and talented performers in Florida that evening such as Felicity Lane, Amy Demilo (spelling), Stephanie Shippae (spelling), Divinity Everlasting and of course Esme Russell. I was absolutely star struck.

Fun memories

#67 DaphneDouglas

DaphneDouglas

Amateur

• Pip
  • 35 posts
  • Drag Name:Daphne Douglas

Posted 01 October 2009 - 09:19 PM

The first Drag Queen/Female Impersonator I ever saw was Crystal Blue at Club Atlantis in Huntsville AL...more years ago than I care to admit...shortly after that I took a trip to Atlanta with a friend and one of the clubs we went to was, if memory serves, Numbers...and on stage was the lovely Dina Jocobs! That same weekend we went to Illusions and saw many more beautiful and talented girls...Chena Black, Bertha Butt and I think Charlie Brown was the special guest that night. It wasn't too long after that I had my face painted for the first time...I was hooked!!!!!

#68 IndiaDivine

IndiaDivine

Drag Princess

• PipPipPip
  • 246 posts
  • Drag Name:India Divine

Posted 02 October 2009 - 03:01 AM

Gosh Crystal Blue...Beautiful woman and a very nice looking man.. My first queens I saw were when Connection Nashville was downtown. The cast was Rita Ross, Danielle Hunter, Mahogany, Hurricane Summers and Stephanie Wells. That was my first time seeing a transsexual. I thought the show was awesome. Long way from what the queens around here in my area looked like.
India Divine
2nd RU Music City AAG @ Large

#69 RobJr

RobJr

Goddess

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,567 posts
  • Drag Name:Becca

Posted 02 October 2009 - 06:20 AM

My firist National Pageant was in San Antonio When Tandi Andrews won I was entertained I was hook with USofA... I had heard of Jerry Bird but That's when I first saw Jerry Bird I became a big fan... /jerry.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':)' />

Robert
"Love Don't live here anymore"

#70 baddrag

baddrag

Daughter

• PipPip
  • 81 posts

Posted 02 October 2009 - 07:59 AM

my first queen i ever saw perform was Miss P.at the parliament house. i too had a fake id (17 then). i was told if i go see a show and p is there, sit in the back.so glad i did. she was funny and scared the crap out of me at the same time. also in the show at that time was jessica jackson, alan allison, rusti fawcett, stephanie shippae, and there newest cast member kelly anderson who got me hooked on drag.who knew that a four years later i would be a male lead sharing the stage and dancing with some of these great entertainers.

#71 ncpageantguy

ncpageantguy

Drag Queen

• PipPipPipPip
  • 366 posts

Posted 02 October 2009 - 08:55 AM

My first show was in 1998 at Legends in Raleigh. Performing were Scarlett Dailey, Dana St. James, Kirby Kolby, and Nicole Stancill (RIP). Nicole came around the crowd after she performed and spoke to me and my friends. Ever since then i've been hooked.

#72 Luis

Luis

Diva

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 748 posts

Posted 02 October 2009 - 02:35 PM

My very first time at a drag show, I was hooked. It didn't hurt that it was drag's version of the Beatles, our very own Fabulous Four...Naomi Sims, Hot Chocolate, Tasha Kohl, Donna Day and the incredible emcee Tiffany Jones at the storied Copa in Houston back in their prime in the early 80's.

Edited by Luis, 02 October 2009 - 02:36 PM.

Girl, I ate the sh!t out of them tacos.

Girl, is it just me, or did we stop off on the side of the road and buy some tacos?

Is that safe?

--Amaya, in her great Carolina accent, all during the course of the evening after USofA At-Large 2008 in San Antonio, when we stopped off and bought some tacos from a taco truck...a long time TX, and especially, San Antonio tradition!

#73 nycdaffy

nycdaffy

Daughter

• PipPip
  • 81 posts

Posted 02 October 2009 - 06:46 PM

My very first time at a drag show, I was hooked. It didn't hurt that it was drag's version of the Beatles, our very own Fabulous Four...Naomi Sims, Hot Chocolate, Tasha Kohl, Donna Day and the incredible emcee Tiffany Jones at the storied Copa in Houston back in their prime in the early 80's.

That was absolutely the BEST! I was just out of college and saw these shows with these queens. I was also working at The Other Place in Ft. Worth where these girls would come through and work frequently. I still to this day compare every show and drag queen I watch to these 5 performers. They were timeless.
...Monty

#74 jAiLa

jAiLa

Goddess

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,021 posts
  • Drag Name:JAILA LORD

Posted 03 October 2009 - 12:52 AM

WELL .... THE FIRST TWO FEMALE IMPERSONATORS I SAW PERSONALLY WHERE LADY CHABLISS @ CLUB ONE IN SAVANNAH, GEORGIA AND MISS JASMINE BONET!

MY FAVORITE IS NONE OTHER THAN MISS CANDIS CAYNE .. HER ENTERTAINMENT VALUE IS INCREDIBLE!

BUT THE FIRST; THE VERY FIRST I SAW WAS RUPAUL WHEN SHE HAD HER SHOW ON VH1 (YES I'M A YOUNG GAL)

Edited by jAiLa, 03 October 2009 - 12:54 AM.

-jaila lord-

"I can show you better than I can tell you!"

Pageant Director - Black America Pageantry System/Jr-Jr Miss

#75 Luis

Luis

Diva

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 748 posts

Posted 03 October 2009 - 03:41 AM

That was absolutely the BEST! I was just out of college and saw these shows with these queens. I was also working at The Other Place in Ft. Worth where these girls would come through and work frequently. I still to this day compare every show and drag queen I watch to these 5 performers. They were timeless.

Did you ever see them at The Copa in Houston? I hope you got that opportunity. I dont know of any existing documentation of their time there. There is a video that exists of them years later doing some reunion shows at another Houston club but that was yrs later when they only reassembled once or twice a year. But the shows werent the same, mostly because the club, Heaven, didn't have a stage. They put a temporary small platform that the girls used for a stage. But it was great to see them together again nonetheless.

I wish there was a video of one of their shows back then. But I suppose we'll have to satisfy ourselves with the memories they gave us. It was really magical.
Girl, I ate the sh!t out of them tacos.

Girl, is it just me, or did we stop off on the side of the road and buy some tacos?

Is that safe?

--Amaya, in her great Carolina accent, all during the course of the evening after USofA At-Large 2008 in San Antonio, when we stopped off and bought some tacos from a taco truck...a long time TX, and especially, San Antonio tradition!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users