36 replies to this topic

#1 annarexia

annarexia

Daughter

• PipPip
  • 77 posts
  • Drag Name:Anna Rexia

Posted 31 August 2008 - 05:02 PM

Ok, so I'm about ready to make the plunge and buy theatrical makeup. Anyone want to give their opinions and tips on Ben Nye vs. Mehron (or any other theatrical makeup)? I know a lot of you gals use MAC as well, but there is no where around me that sells it, so that's kinda out of the question at this point.

I'll take any advice you all can give.

Thanks in advance,

Annie
I do NOT need a crown to prove that I am a true Queen... however, shiny IS nice :)

Me? I'm just a tired out, old foogey of a drag queen. My makeup is put on with a spatula and my wigs are ratty as hell. But damn do I have a ball...two if I can catch that pretty lil boy before last call.

myspace.com/elmira_glamazon (annie)
myspace.com/janus_rising (chris)

#2 BlancheB

BlancheB

Drag Queen

• PipPipPipPip
  • 354 posts
  • Drag Name:Blanche Babcock

Posted 31 August 2008 - 09:57 PM

I use a lot of Ben Nye eyshadows and blushes on my eyes and the cream color. I like them a lot.
For my foundation I use a Mehron Creme stick. Its great. Covers really well, and REALLY creamy. I haven't tried any theatrical powders but I really want to get some.

I hope someone else has used more of the products and has more to offer. ;)
My mother used to say that there are no strangers, only friends you haven't met yet. She's now in a maximum security twilight home in Australia. - Dame Edna Everage

http://www.youtube.c.../BlancheBabcock
http://www.twitter.com/BlancheBabcock

#3 IndiaDivine

IndiaDivine

Drag Princess

• PipPipPip
  • 246 posts
  • Drag Name:India Divine

Posted 01 September 2008 - 05:22 PM

I like both Mehron and Ben Nye...Ben Nye has a lot of good colors that are just as good as MAC. There is also Kryolan. However, for foundation I use good ole Max Factor panstick. As far as MAC goes you can go to maccosmetics.com or do a search on Ebay for MAC.

Most of my lip colors and eye colors are either MAC, Kryolan or Ben Nye. You just have to see what you like. At first I didn't really care for Kryolan, but I found some pretty eye colors and nice lip colors from them.
India Divine
2nd RU Music City AAG @ Large

#4 Addie Patty

Addie Patty

Diva

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 653 posts
  • Drag Name:Addison Taylor

Posted 01 September 2008 - 06:04 PM

for theatrical powders Stein is great. Also Ben Nye has a super bright white.... I think that may be the name of it, that is awesome for highlighting.
Addison Taylor
Miss Florida International Pluss 2011 | Sunshine State AAG @ Large 2011 | 4th Alternate to AAG @ Large 2010
Florida AAG @ Large 2010 | Miss Large & Lovely 2009 | Miss Carrie Fairfield @ Large 2007

#5 DragDepot

DragDepot

Drag Queen

• PipPipPipPip
  • 333 posts
  • Drag Name:Kyllie West

Posted 03 September 2008 - 01:17 AM

Ben Nye all the way. Msg me if you have any questions.

#6 Patricia PMas Mason

Patricia PMas Mason

Drag Queen

• PipPipPipPip
  • 296 posts
  • Drag Name:Patricia Mason

Posted 03 September 2008 - 03:47 AM

I was using Mac panstick and then my dear drag mother bought me a TV paintstick by Kryolan right before a pageant and I haven't looked back. It covers VERY well, and I even glue my boybrows down and then use this over, and I keep wondering if I had shaved them off...(not again, unless I make nationals.)

A little goes a long long way. Here's another tip that I have tried for a good overall skin appearance. Since the sticks are harder for me to use on my chest and arms (I am as pale as a ghost, sun is very evil) and I need an overall look withought spray tans, I use the dream matte mouse or a liquid concealer on my chest and arms and it blends in nicely to the stick I use on my face and neck. Then I powder everything with my handy dandy airspun stuff and then I am good to go.

Hope this helps!!

Patricia Mason
Miss Carriefairfield 2010

#7 Ariel DeVereaux

Ariel DeVereaux

Diva

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,422 posts
  • Drag Name:Ariel Gibbs

Posted 03 September 2008 - 05:46 AM

what great tips girls. After having another entertainer paint my face for nationals and i looked amazing, Everyone back home said i dont look like me. I said i need to learn that stuff. And she uses Mac and Ben Nye. While at Nationals in Baltimore i met Kristina Kelly and she was Using the Kryolan Colors and oh my god i was in love. So what ever you choose to use you will be happy. But I have noticed myself with shelling out a little extra coins the shadows and foundation are well worth it and you will be ever so happy with it. Best of luck in what you choose.

Edited by Ariel DeVereaux, 03 September 2008 - 05:50 AM.

Ariel Gibbs DeVereaux

Miss Rhode Island All American Goddess at Large 2012/2013

1st Alternate Miss International Classic 2010

Miss New England International Classic 2010

#8 Penny Tration

Penny Tration

Drag Queen

• PipPipPipPip
  • 387 posts
  • Drag Name:Penny Tration

Posted 03 September 2008 - 09:52 AM

I mix 'em all up - I have Ben Nye, Mehron, Kryolan, Max Factor Pro.....I've just found that you have to try a few things before you find the one that works best for you. I think that MAC is a bit overrated - there have always been theatrical products out there, though they were only available to the trade. Now that we have the internet and all these options - you can pick and choose what works best for you.

My Top Picks

Best Red - Tie Between - Ben Nye "Flame" & LaFemme "Red"
Best White - Mehron "Bright White"
Best Black - Mehron "Charcoal"
Best foundation - Max Factor Pro Stick
Best Setting Powder - good Ol' Coty "Rosie Beige"
Best Lip Liner - YSL #12
Best Line - Lancome "Smoke"

Throw in a couple of cheap "wig store" colors of pencil and shadow and I've got a tackle box full of dusty containers that help to make me "pretty"

I say try a different thing every month (so as to be gentle on the budget) until you find one that works best for you. Funny thing is what wont work for you will be PERFECT for someone else. That's how I found the LaFemme Red - didn't work for one of my sisters - wonderful for me.

Good Luck Gurls!

smooches,

pt
Loving you like a fat kid loves a donut,

pt

Penny Tration - The Ugliest Drag Queen in Captivity
dqpenny@gmail.com - www.dqpenny.com
+1 513 284 2050 (M)

QUOTE OF THE CENTURY -
"If you have always done it that way, it is probably wrong." Charles Kettering - Inventor

#9 Natalicious

Natalicious

Drag Queen

• PipPipPipPip
  • 442 posts
  • Drag Name:Natali DeLeon

Posted 03 September 2008 - 12:00 PM

i also use the panstick... seems to stay the best and works best with how much I sweat!

I also love the lafemme eye shadows...

I also have some of the mehron foundation and it does work pretty well but I have to use a lot more powder because it is oilier.
Natali DeLeon

"It cost a lot of money to look this cheap!" ~Dolly Parton

#10 BlancheB

BlancheB

Drag Queen

• PipPipPipPip
  • 354 posts
  • Drag Name:Blanche Babcock

Posted 03 September 2008 - 12:23 PM

The Mehron foundation is oilier, and Max Factor Pansik is...stiffer. lol.
I like the consistancy of Panstick, but the colors are not right for me. I wish it came in more colors.

Penny - You mentioned Panstik pro. Is that any different than the Panstik they sell anyplace they sell Max Factor?

I wish I could find a store here that sells La femme. I want to be able to go in and see the colors before buying them.
My mother used to say that there are no strangers, only friends you haven't met yet. She's now in a maximum security twilight home in Australia. - Dame Edna Everage

http://www.youtube.c.../BlancheBabcock
http://www.twitter.com/BlancheBabcock

#11 Penny Tration

Penny Tration

Drag Queen

• PipPipPipPip
  • 387 posts
  • Drag Name:Penny Tration

Posted 03 September 2008 - 01:24 PM

Max Factor has a professional line - most cosmetics companies have a professional line - Even MAC has a pro line. I'm sure it's the same stuff you get at walmart but with a different logo on it. LOL

Also - totally off topic, but Julliard has an amazing brush line. I've had a few of their brushes for YEARS, but I don't know how to get them unless you go to the school. Maybe www.alcone.com has them - they have an awesome brush line as well.

smoooches,

pt
Loving you like a fat kid loves a donut,

pt

Penny Tration - The Ugliest Drag Queen in Captivity
dqpenny@gmail.com - www.dqpenny.com
+1 513 284 2050 (M)

QUOTE OF THE CENTURY -
"If you have always done it that way, it is probably wrong." Charles Kettering - Inventor

#12 SummerKnightAtl

SummerKnightAtl

Goddess

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,978 posts
  • Drag Name:Summer Knight

Posted 03 September 2008 - 01:51 PM

I hate the Mehron foundation stick it's like sliding grease on your face. ::shivers with the thought:: I sweat, so I like something thick! I love using pan stick or MAC full coverage. It lasts a while and you dont use as much. Panstick seems to go quick.

I love LeFemme. I had a few of their pallets; until my car was stolen. The thing is...its not that exspensive and works great! I love their Honey Rose blush! OMG! Their pencils are ok. I have someone that orders all of my Lefemme wholesale. If you PM me; I can get you in touch with them.

My all time favorite eye shawdows for colors is BenNye! It's amazing. It's not chalky as some and stays true to the color that you see in the cake. Also, Mehron has a setting spray that competes with makes. It's amazing. As far as powder... No one can compete with my Suntan Koty powder!

Summer Knight
Miss Atlanta Showgirl 2009-10 * Miss Tennessee All American Goddess 2009 * 4th Alternate to Miss All American Goddess
Miss Mississippi USOfA 2009 * Miss East Coast USofA 2008 * Miss MSTN Emeritus * Miss LeBuzz 2008 * Miss ANF 2008

#13 Addie Patty

Addie Patty

Diva

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 653 posts
  • Drag Name:Addison Taylor

Posted 03 September 2008 - 02:12 PM

I use Max Factor pan stick, coty powder, la femme shadows and the 2 for $.79 pencils from walgreens.... Jordanna for lips, and NYC for brows.

My favorite high end bronzer is from NARS, but drugstore if by IsaDora...

I have found it is not so much WHAT you use, but how you use it.

Blanche, you can try "mixing" 2 different shades of panstick to achieve a color that will work for you. I use ben nye clown white on my beard line and on my t zone then blend the pan stick into it, so my face is already highlighted before I even powder!
Addison Taylor
Miss Florida International Pluss 2011 | Sunshine State AAG @ Large 2011 | 4th Alternate to AAG @ Large 2010
Florida AAG @ Large 2010 | Miss Large & Lovely 2009 | Miss Carrie Fairfield @ Large 2007

#14 Ariel DeVereaux

Ariel DeVereaux

Diva

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,422 posts
  • Drag Name:Ariel Gibbs

Posted 03 September 2008 - 02:15 PM

I use Max Factor pan stick, coty powder, la femme shadows and the 2 for $.79 pencils from walgreens.... Jordanna for lips, and NYC for brows.

My favorite high end bronzer is from NARS, but drugstore if by IsaDora...

I have found it is not so much WHAT you use, but how you use it.

Blanche, you can try "mixing" 2 different shades of panstick to achieve a color that will work for you. I use ben nye clown white on my beard line and on my t zone then blend the pan stick into it, so my face is already highlighted before I even powder!

thats is a cute trick addison. I will have to remember that one.

Ariel Gibbs DeVereaux

Miss Rhode Island All American Goddess at Large 2012/2013

1st Alternate Miss International Classic 2010

Miss New England International Classic 2010

#15 SummerKnightAtl

SummerKnightAtl

Goddess

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,978 posts
  • Drag Name:Summer Knight

Posted 03 September 2008 - 02:21 PM

Yes the clown white thing is good, but if you're olive skinned like me... You can look grey at times.

Summer Knight
Miss Atlanta Showgirl 2009-10 * Miss Tennessee All American Goddess 2009 * 4th Alternate to Miss All American Goddess
Miss Mississippi USOfA 2009 * Miss East Coast USofA 2008 * Miss MSTN Emeritus * Miss LeBuzz 2008 * Miss ANF 2008

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users