#1 MizzNickyLaLa

MizzNickyLaLa

Drag Princess

• PipPipPip
  • 162 posts
  • Drag Name:Nicky Lazaro

Posted 15 June 2004 - 04:49 PM

What's good people??

I've been drawing the parrallels between pageants and the ballroom for a while now, especially reading literature about the ballroom. I've noticed that, especially on Carrie Fairfield, references to the ballroom and house terminology are readily evident. I really would like to know how many people involved in pageants are also in Houses, and what Houses... lol... let's Network!

Lol, in all seriousness, pageantry and the whole "beads, sequins, feathers and things" (Long live Dorian Corey!) is the very foundation of the ballroom... and while the Voguing kids brought the ballroom into recognition, it's only right that the children know where they came from. Trust!

Muahz,

*Princess* Nicky Lazaro
House of Shade NY/NC
be all you can't be:.

#2 MizzNickyLaLa

MizzNickyLaLa

Drag Princess

• PipPipPip
  • 162 posts

Posted 16 June 2004 - 11:25 AM

P.S. If anyone doesn't quite know what I am talking about, think about Jenny Livingstons documentary "Paris Is Burning" or Flawless Sabrina's "The Queen"...

#3 Amanda Hugginkiss

Amanda Hugginkiss

Drag Queen

• PipPipPipPip
  • 443 posts
  • Drag Name:Amanda Hugginkiss

Posted 17 June 2004 - 09:14 AM

there aredefinitly parallels between ballroom dance and female impersonation pageanry, and many people have or are involved in both. I took cotillion and ballrom allthroughout jr.high and high school (as well as tap jazz and ballet) andI know there havebeen a lot of others as well. I beleive Catia Lee Love MGA 200, was a professional ballroom dancer for years before she began impersonating.
There are also a lot of paralells and associations with theatre, and especially musical theatre. So many pageant numbers, songs etc. come from muicals (whether one knows it or not) , even many jazz standards were originally written for the stage. there are also a great many plays which have prominent F.I. characters (Hairspray, ruthless, Torch Song, Psycho Beach Party et. al).
I think it is great to explore all forms of entertainment, and try to bring them into the drag genre :)
I am only truly at home in the light of a spotlight.
Judy Garland

The more comfortable I get with myself, the less I feel the need to seek acceptance from others...
Jamie Lee Curtis

I like Joan Rivers! I love that she has a big dirty mouth that gets her into trouble all the time
Sharon Gless

#4 auroras59

auroras59

Drag Queen

• PipPipPipPip
  • 323 posts
  • Drag Name:Aurora Sexton

Posted 17 June 2004 - 10:03 AM

there aredefinitly parallels between ballroom dance and female impersonation pageanry, and many people have or are involved in both. I took cotillion and ballrom allthroughout jr.high and  high school (as well as tap jazz and ballet) andI know there havebeen a lot of others as well. I beleive Catia Lee Love MGA 200, was a professional ballroom dancer for years before she began impersonating.
There are also a lot of paralells and associations with theatre, and especially musical theatre. So many pageant numbers, songs etc. come from muicals (whether one knows it or not) , even many jazz standards were originally written for the stage. there are also a great many plays which have prominent F.I. characters (Hairspray, ruthless, Torch Song, Psycho Beach Party et. al).
I think it is great to explore all forms of entertainment, and try to bring them into the drag genre  :)

I think she is talking more about The Balls that are prominent on the East Coast, not ballroom dancing. They consisted of numerous contests where houses competed against each other in categories like vogue, the most beautiful, runway, etc. I'm sure that they still happen back east and down south but they are not nearly as prominant as the professional female illusion and impersonation pageantry systems as they are now more mainstream because they have turned the art of illusion into a money making industry.
"I already won" - Monica Munro

#5 dafoxxx1

dafoxxx1

Amateur

• Pip
  • 48 posts

Posted 17 June 2004 - 03:34 PM

The girls that particpate in both pagentry and also ballroom activities are girls such as.....
Mother Raquel Lord Balenciaga(sp)
Mother Stasha Sanchez Myiake Mugler
Mother Jasmine Bonet Milan
Sasha Valentino Escada
Tyra Allure..Allure
Tiara Russel Escada(i think she still is)

#6 roger113

roger113

Drag Princess

• PipPipPip
  • 188 posts

Posted 17 June 2004 - 03:49 PM

Who are the judges for these Ballroom events?

#7 MizzNickyLaLa

MizzNickyLaLa

Drag Princess

• PipPipPip
  • 162 posts

Posted 17 June 2004 - 05:47 PM

The judges for balls are usually legendary or iconic people in the ballroom scene, although at times, people have been known to pull people out of the audience who know nothing about the ballroom - or sometimes it might be a celebrity who is "down" with the queenz.

The balls are actually coming into a huge resurgence...actually they have been for the last few years. There is currently a documentary by Wolfgang Busch entitled "How Do I Look", which picks up where Paris is Burning left off... the website is www.howdoilooknyc.org. Several current famous ballroom individuals are documented in the movie itself, as well as drag performers such as Kevin Aviance (of the House of Aviance) and designer Patricia Field (who is mother of the House of Field).

Although the ballroom and Houses are "burning" on the east coast, especially its home NYC (as well as Chicago in the midwest), there are now Houses and balls in a lot of the states. Basically, wherever there is a visable black and latino gay community - there will be a Ball. Actually, my house (the International House of Shade) started the first house in Alabama... as we have members in NYC (home city), DC, Chicago, Detroit, NC, GA, Miami, etc. Miami is also a leading force in the ballroom scene....

Lol... I knew I loved Stasha Sanchez for a reason... MUGLERRRRRR!!!! Femme Queen Realness dowwwn!!!

Its intresting to note, that a lot of the girls who got into pageants from NYC are involved in the ballroom and are in houses.... Candis Cayne, Jasmine International, Angelique Ali, Erika Norrell, the Lady Katiria (a Miss Cont'l), etc. etc. etc. I love the "multifacted" quality of them!

#8 MizzNickyLaLa

MizzNickyLaLa

Drag Princess

• PipPipPip
  • 162 posts

Posted 17 June 2004 - 06:09 PM

I also want to mention that North Carolina's Jasmine Addams is also in the House of Omni, making her Jasmine Omni... I love her as well.

I also noticed something a while back... have you noticed that the current "look" in a lot of the pageantry systems is very high-fashion, very right out of the pages of W or Vogue...

I bet this has something to do with the influx of the ballrooms drag queens and femme queens (trannies) who for years in the ballroom, fashioned themselves after models in haute couture magazines...

Another intresting fact is the inspiration for Rupauls "Supermodel of the World" album was a statement that Legendary Mother Octavia Laurent (Manolo-Blahnik) made in which she wanted to be the "supermodel of the world."

Rupaul also cut a track called "Superbitch" for the South Park movie soundtrack a while back, in which she "summoned" the spirit of Venus Xtravaganza (who was featured in Paris is Burning) by reciting her midnight pier shadyness: "Touch this soft skin honey, Touch all of this skin dahhhhhling."

Classic... I love that if you scratch beneath the surface just a little bit, you find all these great historic moments of ballroom roots.

Muahz,

Nicky Lazaro

#9 Guest_AlonDupree_*

Guest_AlonDupree_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 June 2004 - 08:23 PM

Beleive it or not, Ball have not come to the public sight in New Orleans, theres a annual event called "Walk for me Wendsday" that happens every couple month. The kids compeate in Face, Body,Fashion. Most of the familys who compeate are "Drag Families". I know that its a very popular in Chicago and Atlanta. Ive even heard stories of some of the girls compeating for body in trench coats, opening them up and white doves flying out, compleatly naked under the coat, so it can get very competitive. Ive compeated once and it was a lot of fun.

Alon

#10 thejumpoff

thejumpoff

Goddess

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,934 posts

Posted 17 June 2004 - 09:28 PM

I watched "Paris is Burning" at a theatre here, in Atlanta, about 13 years ago and hated it!!! I later went to Loretta's to a "ball" show and the talents were deplorable!!!! They are too ghetto and simply, too much! I am surprised to learn that the girls mentioned in one of the previous posts are actually members of certain "houses," especially during this day and age!!!

#11 dafoxxx1

dafoxxx1

Amateur

• Pip
  • 48 posts

Posted 18 June 2004 - 02:15 PM

And to remember just a few more girls that participate are also...
Candis Cayne Westwood
Kenya Black Allure
Necole Luv Dupree Ebony
Its also a few more girls that partcipate but there names aren't so known in ethier the pagent or ball scene..

#12 citigal

citigal

Amateur

• Pip
  • 45 posts

Posted 18 June 2004 - 04:45 PM

Ms. LaLa,
I would love information on any balls that may take place in the Miami area. Feel free to post if you know of any. This goes for any oher members that may know of any.

Thanks,
Citigal

#13 MizzNickyLaLa

MizzNickyLaLa

Drag Princess

• PipPipPip
  • 162 posts

Posted 19 June 2004 - 12:01 AM

Hi Citigal...

mami there are balls all up in MIA! :censored:
The best, most consistant rescource is www.floridaballroomscene.com..
You'll be surprised at how many functions there are in Miami right now... Miami is really stealing the scene.

If you have a yahoo account you can also sign up for the listserve/email discussion group "House of Balls". You can search it by putting it in the search engine as "houseofballs" I think. Several members of Miami based houses are there...

#14 MizzNickyLaLa

MizzNickyLaLa

Drag Princess

• PipPipPip
  • 162 posts

Posted 19 June 2004 - 12:16 AM

I watched "Paris is Burning" at a theatre here, in Atlanta, about 13 years ago and hated it!!! I later went to Loretta's to a "ball" show and the talents were deplorable!!!! They are too ghetto and simply,  too much! I am surprised to learn that the girls mentioned in one of the previous posts are actually members of certain "houses," especially during this day and age!!!

TheJumpOff,

I actually remember watching my first "pageant" video tape about 5 years ago and HATING it. I thought ill of the whole thing for various reasons, but I have sence come around and realized that entertainment comes in various form... and while I may not be able to relate to it, I have not the authority to speak against it... especially when I only saw that one pageant... and it was on video tape....Trust.

Maybe you didn't like the ball in Atlanta at Lorettas because 13 years ago the ballroom scene had not reached Atlanta skillfully... it was still very much confined to NYC, Chicago, and those surrounding metropolitan areas. But, as with everything that hits the media, people started to try to market off of the movie (as well as Madonna marketing off ballroom kids and voguing with "Vogue")... and as a result a series of ill fated club ventures produced a mass of shotty events, much like the reality tv shows today.

Sure... the balls may start late and some might think they are a "ghetto"... but if we start to list the accomplishments of all of these gay minority kids who are from the ghetto... they really will make us GAG. Some have become highend designers, models, singers, actors, showgirls, dj's, etc.

Besides, I believe in reclaiming history and tradition... and thats what the ballroom allows us to do. It took the dreams and aspirations of those who seemed to be the worlds most forsaken (gay/transgendered...then minorities...then poor), and then defied what everyone expected and made everyone, aware of it or not, join in their dance...

Demasiado (tooo much),

Nicky Lazaro

#15 Amanda Hugginkiss

Amanda Hugginkiss

Drag Queen

• PipPipPipPip
  • 443 posts
  • Drag Name:Amanda Hugginkiss

Posted 19 June 2004 - 08:16 AM

well, i've seen paris is burnign of course a while back, but i didn't realize these events still occurred. I had the feeling these balls were more secretive, held during a time before the rise of pageantry when homosexuality, and especially crossdressing were either illegal or extremely frowned upon. how does one find out about these events, or get involved with them? Do they still have these in texas at all? I fell totally out of the loop I had no idea this was even a phenomena, but it sounds interesting...
I am only truly at home in the light of a spotlight.
Judy Garland

The more comfortable I get with myself, the less I feel the need to seek acceptance from others...
Jamie Lee Curtis

I like Joan Rivers! I love that she has a big dirty mouth that gets her into trouble all the time
Sharon Gless

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users