11 replies to this topic

#1 s006adt

s006adt

Diva

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 643 posts
  • Drag Name:Felicia

Posted 01 February 2005 - 02:49 PM

Does anyone have a certain way they hold their wigs on their head the best? I am used to pinning wigs in with pigtails on my head and then twisting them into the rubberbands, and let me remind you that it can sometimes be very painful. Does anyone have any other tips or ideas of how to make a wig stay put? Most importantly, stay put during a dance number! O:) Any help would be appreciated!

Felicia :)

#2 jdpdx

jdpdx

Daughter

• PipPip
  • 78 posts
  • Drag Name:Paprika

Posted 01 February 2005 - 03:39 PM

If the wig fits your head well I've always found just a wig cap keeps my wigs on really well and just tightening the wig really tight. Some people use glue but that sounds like a mess waiting to happen..

#3 jessicablackwell

jessicablackwell

Drag Queen

• PipPipPipPip
  • 280 posts
  • Drag Name:Jessica Blackwell

Posted 01 February 2005 - 05:24 PM

If the wig is not heavy then the wig cap thing might work, but if it is a heavy piece of hair, styled in an up-do or just really thick and teased all to hell, it will not stay in place if you are whirling and twirling around the stage. I would say go to the local beauty supply store and get hair bonding glue. It comes in white, or black. both hold equally well, but I suggest using white glue for your blonde and red wigs, and black glue for your dark brown or black wigs. as the black glue will stain blonde hair and look bad. I always start with a line of glue across my own hairline in the front, then a dot down by my side burns... then put the wig on and press the cap down into the glue... then glue the back down across the back of the hair line if you are going to be slinging your head forward.

Another method is to put on a wig cap, then duct tape around your head over the wig cap.. make sure the tape goes on tight and try not to get any of your real hair into the tape or it will pull a lot to get it off. Then you can criss cross bobby pin the wig to the tape around your head and it should hold pretty good... just make sure that the hair of the wig hides the pins, and that the hair isn't TOO heavy or it still might fall off.. then you will be out on stage with duct tape on your head and it won't be pretty.

u mentioned you wear your hair in pig tails.. if your real hair is long enough to slick up into a pony tail, then you can turn an old short wig inside out, and bobby pin it around the base of the pony tail on the top of your head... then take an old pair of nylon hose, and wrap around the wig, where the pins are.. and pull it tight. This will probably pull some.. but not like twisting pins into rubber bands... the upside down wig should pull tight and look like a little bun on the top of your head. Then you can take a full wig and wrap it around the base of this bump... I usually take the two side burn areas of the front of the wig and pull them together in the back around the base of the bump, then pin that wig down to your hair... this will give you a big drag pony tail. Then for extra security, wrap the other leg of the panty hose around the base of the pony tail, like you did before.. and pull that tight. That should not come off if you pull it tight enough and did it right.
Just a few suggestions.

By the way, if you use the glue to hold your wigs on.. u will need a way to get the glue back out of your hair again when the wig comes off. U can get the remover, but I find that if you take a hot shower, and wash your hair.. .then when u get out of the shower.. put some conditioner on the areas where there is still glue in your hair... let it sit for about 3 - 5 minutes and it will soften the glue up.. then you can comb it right out with a fine toothed comb

#4 jessicablackwell

jessicablackwell

Drag Queen

• PipPipPipPip
  • 280 posts
  • Drag Name:Jessica Blackwell

Posted 01 February 2005 - 05:30 PM

by the way, I went to your web page, you are really fierce looking miss thing, and a cute boy too! hehe

#5 jdpdx

jdpdx

Daughter

• PipPip
  • 78 posts
  • Drag Name:Paprika

Posted 01 February 2005 - 07:05 PM

I just remembered one of my wigs has a front comb built in. None of my other wigs have that but you could just sew in some combs depending on how long your actual hair is i suppose.

#6 s006adt

s006adt

Diva

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 643 posts
  • Drag Name:Felicia

Posted 02 February 2005 - 09:22 AM

Thank you guys so much! I appreciate all the tips and advice. Jessica, you are too kind. Thank you for your kind words. I will take these methods and see what I can do. Thanks so much!!!

Felicia :mwah:

#7 Amanda Hugginkiss

Amanda Hugginkiss

Drag Queen

• PipPipPipPip
  • 443 posts
  • Drag Name:Amanda Hugginkiss

Posted 04 February 2005 - 11:08 AM

The best way to hold wigs in place during dance numbers, and this is what I do for the dancer girls in the musicals, ballets and operas that I design wigs for , is this: Take your natural hair at your hairline and wrap small sections ( about 1.5 square inches or so) into small, flat pin curls (sort of like tiny hair buns) and secure the pin curl with two criss crossed bobby pins. Continue this all the way around the hairline, then take your remaining hair and pin curl it in the same manner,(these pin curls can be bigger)and place a wig cap over your hair. Then use 3" theatrical hair pins, which can be found at most beauty supply stores, even at Sally's. They will not be called theatrical hairpins, just look for 3" hair pins (that is the open ended kind, not the bobby pins) Then you put your wig on and place pins through the wig and sink them into your pin curls, on either temple, in the middle top (if possible) and on either side of the nape of the neck, 1 or 2 on each side depending. If you're really dancing, take mor of the pins in the top or crown area, and stick them in through the wig into the pin curls as well. If done right, this will hold a wig on through any major dancing, acrobatice etc. I have used this technique for years, andhave never lost a wig, and this is the technique the broadway people have done forever.
The secret is the pin curls, even if your hair is short, if you can get just 2 or 3 tiny little pin curls or tiny pony tails in your bang area, this is what you need to pin the 3" hairpins into, so that it is grabbing onto something ( basically stuck in something) rather than plain boby pins on just slick hair.
If your hair is really short (or bald), you can use a really tight ace bandage made into a head band, place 4 pop clips to secure the ace bandage to any hair you do have at temples and nape, then put the wig on and put the pins up under the bandage. You can also glue the bandage partially down with spirit gum or hair glue, instead of pop clips. Another tip: sometimes the large hairpins at sally's are not the true theatrical kind, so they are in more ov a V shape, than a U shape, just pinch the closed end a little to make it a true "U" shape.
Hope this helps!
I am only truly at home in the light of a spotlight.
Judy Garland

The more comfortable I get with myself, the less I feel the need to seek acceptance from others...
Jamie Lee Curtis

I like Joan Rivers! I love that she has a big dirty mouth that gets her into trouble all the time
Sharon Gless

#8 Tiffany Rachels

Tiffany Rachels

Goddess

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,803 posts
  • Drag Name:Tiffany Rachels

Posted 22 December 2005 - 07:08 PM

I have used bonding glue as well since cutting off all my hair. The only thing is most of the folks that I have seen do this for a long period of time have had experienced hair loss. One of my drag momma's was completely bald from glueing tracks in for so long. I decided to grow my hair out lol!
"To you contestants tonight I want to say your not in competion with eachother, your in competition with yourself. It's so much more important to be the best you can be then it is to better then anyone else"............ Cezanne on her give up as Miss National

I'm not a bitch in real life but I can play one in your life if you would like!

Complaining is the denial of responsibility. And blame is just another way of excusing yourself from being responsible.

#9 CocoChanel

CocoChanel

Drag Queen

• PipPipPipPip
  • 484 posts
  • Drag Name:Coco Chanel

Posted 22 December 2005 - 07:30 PM

I use spirit gum. Just dab several small dots around your hairline and put the wig on. It cleans off of your skin and the wig fairly easily.

Coco

#10 VickiBarrera

VickiBarrera

Drag Queen

• PipPipPipPip
  • 285 posts
  • Drag Name:Victoria Barrera Jaymes

Posted 23 December 2005 - 09:02 AM

Hey Felicia, Jessica has a good methos similar to mine. Although I don't use the bonding glue. I have really short shaved hair and I take a pair of old pantyhose and put it on my head then tie the legs round and round my head snuggly. not too tight or it will not feel good mind you. The take a very long piece of duct tape and roll it over so both sides are sticky. then wrap it snuggly over top of the pantyhose above where the wigline will be. pop on your wig. try not to press it down at all till it's adjusted in the right spot. then just press it all around to stick. I throw in some of those big 3" bobby pins like Amanda said . Usually I just take hairspray aroundthe wigline and press it down while I blowdry. on the sideburn area that tends to pop I just dab a little spirit gum and press while I blow dry. I have this one piece of hair that is heavy dance hair and about three normal wigs put together and this method works good no matter how much I toss my hair and head around it doesn't move a bit.

PS, i'm coming back home to Ohio in Febuary. Dayton actually. Let me know where you will be working and I'd love to pop in and see you perform.

Vicki
"Don't pee on my leg and tell me it's raining!"

"Beauty fades, dumb is forever.." -Judge Judy

"It costs a lot of money to look this cheap." - Dolly Parton

#11 jackson

jackson

Daughter

• PipPip
  • 62 posts

Posted 23 December 2005 - 09:25 PM

WELL I USE THE TRACK GLUE. 007 IS THE BEST BRAND I HAVE USED IT ALL AND IT WORKS BEST. ALSO USE THE BOND REMOVER TO CLEAN YOUR WIGS. DRAG COST SO U AND I BOTH KNOW THAT WE WANNA GET MORE THAT 1 USE OUT OF A HAIR PEICE. YES IT COMES IN BOTH COLORS WHITE AND BLACK. AS STATED BLONDE AND RED (WHITE) BROWN AND BLACK (GREY/BLACK). HOPE THIS HELPS

#12 druscilladevoe

druscilladevoe

Drag Queen

• PipPipPipPip
  • 274 posts
  • Drag Name:The Lady Dru-Druscilla De'Voe Gotti-

Posted 23 December 2005 - 10:59 PM

Spirit gum, too, works best for me if I am wearing a wig color that is not going to blend with my regular color of hair....I first start by brushing my hair all the way to the back..I then take the spirit gum and I make two complete lines with the brush tip of the spirit gum--the first line just barely in front of my hairline from about the tip of one earlobe all the way up past the temple over the forehead. past the other temple and down to just above the tip of the other earlobe..Now. the second line is directly in front of that one...As far as the back and the sides, I usually just place the spirit gum just under wherever the wigs edges fall.....I tap the fronts, sides, and back of the wig to make sure it holds properly. I then use a blow dryer on cool or warm setting to make sure the bond is solid..Bobby pen strategically thoroughout the middle to ensure security and fix the wigline and wig to my tastes and I am done...

For wigs that are my color and texture, i just simply pull some of my hair from the front and the sides forward, place the wig where I want it, covering the rest of my hair and blend the pieces that I have pulled in with the wig. Then bobby pin the wig down and style, curl, roll, gel down or moisturize to my tastes for that evening and then wallah!!

Spirit gum can be found at your local costume shop...
Promoter for Miss Black Oklahoma America

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users