• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 USofA Drag Fan

USofA Drag Fan

Diva

• Charter
  • 806 posts

Posted 07 January 2003 - 02:59 PM

I just got a call from Dallas, Donna Day, Queen of the Rose Room, at the Village Station passed away last night in the hospital from a stroke. I don't have any of the arrangements yet, but when I do, I will post them.

~JB~
"Where you plant a seed of doubt, a whole vine of deception can grow"

#2 Lex

Lex

Goddess

• Charter
  • 2,842 posts

Posted 07 January 2003 - 03:13 PM

This is a HUGE loss for our community. Donna was a wonderful performer and lit up the Rose Room every time she hit the stage.

I will never forget the first time I saw her. While she was performing, my friend said "when she starts emceeing she will pull out her teeth". I remember thinking "YEAH RIGHT" and what do ya know? SHE DID IT! Always a consumate entertainer who loved the art of female impersonation and lived to entertain her audience, we have truly lost a legend. May she forever rest in peace.

#3 BarbraSeville

BarbraSeville

Goddess

• Charter
  • 2,494 posts

Posted 07 January 2003 - 04:31 PM

How awful. I agree completely that it is a loss to the art of female impersonation.

She made me laugh many times at The Rose Room and I can only imagine how she will be missed in Dallas. I remember at Miss Texas this year she was out there holding her own with the "young whipper snappers" that were bucking, dancing, and carrying on.

A true legend.

God bless,
Richard~Seville
"Welcome to the bible belt, where we like our homosexuals married, getting :censored: in public parks, not on the big screen."
-Bullbear, CF.com

One person's "rude bitch" is another person's "grand goddess"!

-Kevin, CF.com

"Know that while you two are sitting at home plotting and scheming, People are getting ready. And then you will be standing on the sidelines ONCE more wondering what went wrong. ""Could be your talent, then again that gown, don't forget your interview, & what about all those emails and shady phone calls.""

-Cheeks, CF.com

#4 Kitti D.

Kitti D.

In Memorium

• Charter
  • 1,277 posts
  • Drag Name:Kitti Daniels formerly Autumn Davis, but thats a long story

Posted 07 January 2003 - 05:26 PM

One of my fondest memories of Miss Day is watching her perform her Evilene Production for "The Wiz". Donna is now resting peacefully and singing with all the other angels.
Always and with love Kitti Daniels

#5 AryanahCole

AryanahCole

Daughter

• PipPip
  • 74 posts

Posted 07 January 2003 - 07:27 PM

What an enormous loss for dallas, and the art of female impersonation throughout the country. Donna had a way with people, and although we didn't always like it, she was a great person who loved to entertain and would thrill all of us with her stories of "the old days". There is a hole that will never be fully filled in the Rose Room. She was known as the living legend. And now her legend status will continue forever. She will never be forgotten. We miss you already Donna.

Zach
Don't let the lip gloss fool you.

• Guests

Posted 07 January 2003 - 11:26 PM

I have a heavy heart. Donna Day was someone I looked up to in the female impersonation world. Donna used to come to Little Rock all the time when I was a young "pup" and she always cracked me up.

I can just hear her singing, "Don't Cry For Me Popeye's Chicken."

She really DID work it out at Miss TX this past year. When Donna was doing RESPECT, she broke out in the running man and also did the cabbage patch and the crowd at The RoundUp went UP!

Bless her heart. She will be TRULY MISSED!

#7 CallieDouglas

CallieDouglas

Drag Queen

• PipPipPipPip
  • 317 posts
  • Drag Name:Callie Douglas

Posted 08 January 2003 - 09:42 AM

It is very sad everytime you have to hear that their has been a loss the sadness is deepened when so many people have been touched by 1 person. My prayers are with Donna's family. God bless everyone, life is not forever make as much of it as you can while you have it to live.

Much Love
Callie Douglas
Much Love
Callie Douglas
http://calliedouglas.tripod.com

#8 VICKI V

VICKI V

VICKI VALENTINO

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,628 posts
  • Drag Name:VICKI VALENTINO

Posted 08 January 2003 - 10:42 AM

Donna Day will forever be remembered in our hearts !!

She orginated the now "infamous" Aretha Franklin medley !! The medley began with... Spanish Harlem and included : You made me Love you !, Baby, Baby you lied !

Donna Day lives forever ! :A

Bereaved,

Vicki Valentino :G

Some "things" have to END....so that others can BEGIN...

Bishop Wyatt I. Greenlee Jr.

"The SCORES are the SCORES"

#9 Backstage1MGA

Backstage1MGA

Amateur

• Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 09 January 2003 - 03:32 AM

This was sent to me and as the sentimental old fool I am...I post it everywhere...sorry...I am proud of my Drag Heritage and what it stands for....here you go kids:

It is with a heavy heart that I must shared the sad news of the death of a legend in Texas Gay entertainment.
Donald Shelton, known for four decades as Donna Day, died of a heart attack at Parkland Hospital in Dallas, Texas early Tuesday morning January 7, 2001. Donna celebrated his 61st birthday Sunday, January 5th. Donna Day was born in San Antonio, Texas. Was a US Navy veteran and began entertaining in the 1960's. Donna lived in Houston for a number of years and performed with the Fabulous Four at Gene Howle and Lynn Ganey's Copa Club. Donna moved to Dallas nearly 15 years ago and began performing first in Dallas for TRII, The Hippodrome & finally Caven Enterprises. Donna's awards, credits and crowns are too numerous to mention holding city, state and national titles for four decades. Donna was a favorite emcee at city, state and national pageants for decades.
Donna leaves no relatives behind. Funeral services are pending. Donna was a regular show cast member in the Village Station's Rose Room at the time of his death.

*excerpt's have been added. Largest Life Biography courtesy of Steve Miles/Dallas...parts filled in by Michael Lybarger/Dallas.

I hope you all can understand what great losses have occurred in Texas as of late. We are very humble, loving and don't mess with my sister oriented people. Our Icons are going into the history books before some of our eyes....as said to Dragon Lady this very evening.

Love You All,
Michael Lybarger/Dallas

• Guests

Posted 09 January 2003 - 10:10 AM

:'( Donna Day was a great friend to all. She will be missed for many years but her legend will live forever. I will miss Donna Day . May god be with the Rose room.

• Guests

Posted 09 January 2003 - 01:07 PM

The passing of a true legend is indeed a solemn occassion, one that causes both sadness and sentimental reflection of a life that was devoted to entertaining-which Donna did beautifully and with her very own style and expertise. She will truly be missed. We should all strive to be remembered so fondly.

#12 Leona Mann

Leona Mann

Diva

• Charter
  • 711 posts
  • Drag Name:Leona Mann

Posted 09 January 2003 - 10:05 PM

THE NEWS OF DONNA'S DEATH SADDENED ME DEEPLY I MET HER OVER 10 YEARS AGO. THE 1ST TIME I SAW HER SHE WAS DOING "TEACH ME TONIGHT". SHE STRIPPED DOWN TO A G-STRING AND PASTIES, POPPIN HER TEETH OUT AT THE AUDIENCE THROUGH OUT. MAY THE ICON REST IN PEACE. NOW SHE CAN JOIN THE CAST IN HEAVEN WHERE THE DRAG SHOW JUST GOT A GREAT ADDITION. OUR LOSS IS THERE GAIN. NOW THERE ARE EQUAL PARTS OF THE FABULOUS FOUR ON EARTH AND IN HEAVEN. :A

REMEBERING YOU FONDLY,
LEONA/ROB
"DOES THAT COME IN GUCCI?"- LIL KIM

YOU KNOW THAT FAKE BAG SAYS CUCCI DON'T YOU- WHOOPI

I'M A :censored: WITH SKILLS DOG- PENNY, GOOD MORNING MIAMI

• Guests

Posted 10 January 2003 - 08:21 AM

DALLAS - VILLAGE STATION
IN SYMPATHY AND REMEMBERANCE

I m deeply saddened to learn of your loss. Donna Day is a legend... and legends will live forever in our hearts. God Bless.
Victoria Michaels
Wilmington, Delaware

[attachment deleted by admin]

#14 Leona Mann

Leona Mann

Diva

• Charter
  • 711 posts
  • Drag Name:Leona Mann

Posted 11 January 2003 - 09:10 PM

THIS POST IS VERY LAST MINUTE BUT JUST FOUND OUT MYSELF. TONIGHT, SAT NIGHT, THE ROSE ROOM CAST IS DOING A TRIBUTE TO DONNA. I THINK THIS IS AN IMPROMTU THING AND A BIGGER AND BETTER BENEFIT OR TRIBUTE OF SOME SORT I'M SURE WILL BE HAPPENING BUT JUST WANTED TO PUT THE INFO OUT THERE. SEE YA IN THE ROSE ROOM TONIGHT GUYS.

LEONA/ROB
"DOES THAT COME IN GUCCI?"- LIL KIM

YOU KNOW THAT FAKE BAG SAYS CUCCI DON'T YOU- WHOOPI

I'M A :censored: WITH SKILLS DOG- PENNY, GOOD MORNING MIAMI

• Guests

Posted 13 January 2003 - 03:37 PM

:A I JUST GOT BACK FROM DONNA SERVICES. IT WAS VERY NICE . DONNA WAS LOVED AND IT SHOWED .IT WILL BE HARD KNOW THAT SHE NOT WITH US ON EARTH BUT SHE HAS A NEW BOOKING IN HEAVEN. SHE WILL ALWAYS BE LOVED AND I KNOW THAT DONNA IS WATCHING OVER ALL HER GIRLS THAT GOT TO KNOW HER AND LOVED HER AS A PERSON.WHICH a lot OF US GOT TO KNOW.SHE WILL ALWAYS BE A STAR IN MY HEART . I MISS YOU ALREADY DONNA.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users