30 replies to this topic

#1 Carrie Fairfield

Carrie Fairfield

Diva Extraordinaire!

• Management
  • 1,607 posts
  • Drag Name:Carrie Fairfield

Posted 27 April 2008 - 12:38 PM

May 2008 Hey Kids – It’s time again for another fantastic interview brought to you by your good friends at CarrieFairfield.com. We want to welcome to the stage a very well known entertainer. She’s all the way from the great state of Texas. She’s all that and a box of cookies. I know I enjoy watching her tear down the house. She is Kelexis Davenport. And now I will turn it over to Bob and Kelexis. Enjoy the interview and have a fantastic spring! Thank you, Carrie Fairfield
Greetings CarrieFairfield members and guests. Here is an interview that has been long awaited. I have known this person for several years, and, most recently, have gotten to know her a whole lot more. Having spent so much time in Texas over the past 3 years, Kelexis Davenport has been my "hook up" girl. Meaning - where to stay, where to eat (of course [laughs]) and anything else that I may need to know. She is an excellent host if you happen to be in her current home city of Dallas, Texas. Please grab a snack (because I'm sure we will) and sit back and read on as I present my dear sister - Former Miss Gay USofA at Large and Miss Texas USofA 2008, Kelexis Davenport.   Welcome to our venue gal! To start things off, please tell our Members and guests a little bit about you. Where you are from and/or grew up. Include a little bit about family life as you were coming of age. Well I was born a little boy in Dallas, Texas, where I still reside as a full-grown woman! [She laughs.] I had a wonderful childhood. I kind of grew up like “The Brady Bunch” - my mom and stepfather got married when I was in second grade, and along with him came my 3 stepsisters. I also have another sister and a brother (who is one of Kelexis' biggest fans). I did all the normal things little boys did, or at least what I thought was normal - played with dolls and made mud pies in my sisters Easy Bake Oven. I realized I was feminine at a reeeeal early age. I remember as young as second grade wearing t-shirts on my head, and calling myself "Oh Mighty Isis." My mother taught baton twirling at the local recreation center. Needless to say I became her best student. By seventh grade, it was established (at least in my neighborhood) that I was a girl. I finally "clocked" that I wasn't like the other boys in Jr. High School when a young man (who later became my first boyfriend) asked me in front of the whole class: "Was I a gay?” and I responded: "No dumb-dumb, I'm a Keffus (my biological name)!” After that I
attempted to do more "butch" stuff. I tried out for football, stopped wearing Debbie Gibson purple ice lip gloss, I got a girlfriend (for three days - yuck), I started to leave my purse in my locker, and I was MISERABLE! My father finally sat me down and let me know that regardless of what I was it didn't change who I was and I was going to be loved unconditionally! Whooooaa! With a sigh of relief I put on a pair of hot pants, and some yellow flip-flops, a Sheena Easton tape in my Walkman and I haven't looked back. My illusion of Kelexis Davenport was born because I was interested in boys who were interested in girls. I was a freshman in college and I had just gotten kicked off the cheerleading squad for refusing to let "fish" stand on my shoulders. I put on my first pair of high heels that I bought from K-mart. I wore a maternity dress that belonged to my mother and I entered the talent night at the Rainbow Connection, a bar in Longview, Texas. My first performance was "And I'm Telling You I'm Not Going" by my girl Jennifer Holiday - I won - and that same night I became a cast member - what luck? The only drag I owned was those shoes (and I had already walked the taps off the heel). [She laughs.] Grand Ma Porkey, who was the show director, would bring me her old clothes to perform in. I later met entertainers like Amazing Grace, Donna Day, and Sweet Savage, who took me under their wings. I learned soooo much from them. They taught me that drag is a business, and never stop growing. Although I've grown up (and out) I have NOT stopped growing, and I never will! That first question is always my favorite. Thanks for sharing that. I LIVE!  So who gave you the name Kelexis Davenport? Or did you decide that yourself? Well my name came from a collaboration of several things, originally my best friend and I were going to be Dawn and Taffy Davenport, because we loved this movie called "Female Troubles" starring Divine. Apparently we weren't the only ones who saw the movie because upon entering the talent night Dawn and Taffy were already contestants. I had always been fond of “Dynasty” and I just loved Alexis, she was the type of woman I wanted to be - just less attitude. I decided to name myself Kelexis, it was different, unique, and kind of fun, with all the attitude! So there - that's how SHE came to life! You are a cast member at The Rose Room in Dallas. What is that like? Do you love being part of such a famous cast? What do you perceive to be the pros and cons of being on a permanent cast, Kelexis? The world renowned Rose Room, (there's no place like home) I had no clue how important female impersonation was to the community. I'm allowed to evoke my message to a willing audience who actually loves, and respects what I do. How many people can honestly say they love their job? Well I can! The cast is like a dysfunctional family: we argue, fight, cuss each other out, but if anyone outside of our circle says anything, they will get it! Those bitches are my "sistas!" The friendships I've gained is truly the biggest pro (besides a steady paycheck.) [She laughs.] I work with some of my favorite people in the world. The cons are you get very comfortable working on a cast, and, sometimes allow your craft to suffer because you really don't have anything to prove. The audience loves you, and they buy anything you do - but in reality you're just being lazy. I have to constantly remind myself of that, because just like the audience fell IN love, who says they can't fall OUT? I try to reinvent myself as often as I can - it keeps my creative juices flowing and it keeps me youthful and excited about going to work. Ok, so you are a former Miss Gay USofA at Large! You were crowned Miss Texas USofA 2007 and are now heading to Miss Gay USofA. What inspired you to enter this division and what are the biggest obstacles you've had to deal with? Well I entered Miss Texas because how could I possibly consider myself a top-notch entertainer in the state of Texas and not be a part of the most elite sorority in the state? The sisterhood of the Miss Texas' is something I had to have. It's been such an awesome ride. I'm still so overwhelmed. "I am Miss Texas!"
Preparing for Miss USofA has been smooth sailing - so far. I haven't had any major obstacles. Everyone has been so supportive and I'm really getting excited to actually be competing. Kelexis, would you tell us about each of your most important titles and what they each meant to you? Well, Miss Universe at Large was my first national. I only had two prelims but I was so excited to be a national titleholder. It was really hard for me because I had A LOT of disagreements with the owners. However, Black America Plus was such a blessing to me. It gave me so much - but most importantly the system gave me a wonderful friend - a life long inspiration - Benny Mosley, who is the CEO of the system. I've never met such a giving, patient person. His heart is so pure - anything that I thought was bad; Benny would always make me see the good. I adore him! Then there was Miss Atlantic Coast, although it wasn't a national pageant the owners, Myron and Curtis always made me feel like it was!  I've never felt like such a queen! Miss USofA at Large was the hardest year of my life. Work was constant and it kept my lazy ass on my toes. [She laughs.] I loved every single second of it! Miss Texas FFI has been such an experience - working with Stacey Holiday, who is so passionate about this art form. She gives me a new outlook on things. My big love is Miss Texas USofA. I'm in love with being Miss Texas USofA, however, I'm overwhelmed, grateful and sooooo blessed! I've won other titles, but these are the closest to my heart.Are you currently in a relationship? If so, tell us about your husband and how he deals with all of the responsibilities that come with being so busy in the art form. I've often said how blessed I am and my life mate, Chris, reinforces just how blessed I am. He is the most giving and caring person I've ever met and the thing that gets me the most about him: he really understands me!  It's like he looks at me with more than his eyes - he touches me with more than his hands - it's hard to explain, but I know, without a doubt, he really loves me - good, bad, or indifferent! After almost 12 years he still lights up when I walk into the room. He makes me feel sooooo special without even trying. He has such a beautiful spirit and I wouldn't want to live without him. He is a king among men, and I'm lucky to be his queen! Awwwwww - now how sweet is that? Thanks for sharing such a personal part of your life with us. Kelexis, what do you think of the younger generation of up and coming entertainers? If you could preside over a classroom of new kids - what would you teach them about this business? It's funny you asked that because on Wednesday nights I hold drag class at my house!  It started out with 3 young queens sitting in my drag room eating nachos and covering basic hair and make up tips. Now there are about 12 girls! It's amazing watching their growth. They are so eager to learn so I try to instill in them that "drag" is a business. It should be something that they respect and love to do; otherwise it's a complete waste of their time. It's not an easy task as it takes a lot of preparation and organizational skills! It's A LOT of hard work to stand in the spotlight, but just like anything else, when all of the hard work pays off it's such a wonderful feeling! It takes a very special person to be a female impersonator - to do this art form is to love this art form! As long as one doesn't forget it’s just that - an "art form" - the rewards can be endless. I love what I do and I'm so blessed that other people love me for doing it! Thank you everybody. [She laughs.] Who are your favorite entertainers and why? Well my favorite entertainers are also my favorite people to be around. I absolutely adore Layla Larue; she amazes me - so kind, talented and genuine! She has really made me aspire to be a better person! Of course, there’s my daughter, "Boom Boom" Chevelle Brooks. I met Chevelle when she was 14 years old, and I knew she had that "spark." We have shared some true experiences - too many to even talk about. Some that I'm too embarrassed t talk about – I’m her audio and she's my video! I just love her to death! I live and breathe for Tamisha Iman and Niesha Dupree. I've learned soooooo much under their guidance. They are my sisters to the end. But my all time favorite entertainer is my drag mother - the late great Coco. No one has ever touched my heart the way she did! I know she's watching over me, I love her so much! There are so many wonderful entertainers - so here's my honorable mention list:
Victoria Lepaige, Sweet Savage, The artist formally known as Stacey Holiday, Tasha Long and my daughter, Armani Necole Davenport (my mini me!) Tell our readers what you think is the single most important thing in life. And why you feel that way. Kelexis:  Well that's a hard one. So many different things are important to me. Of course health and happiness - but probably staying true to yourself would be most important! "To thine own self be true." I've always tried to be an honest person - "keeping it real" you could say. By staying true to me I am able to lead as well as follow, give and take as I see fit, stand firm in my convictions and beliefs...realizing wholeheartedly that my only judge is my maker! I'm at a point in my life where I am able to realize what exactly it is that I want and I know what to do with it when I get it. I'm comfortable in my own skin and I can truly say with all honesty - I'm happy! I think all of this comes from staying true to me! Kelexis, as we end this interview, please take a moment and let our readers know anything that you may wish for them to know. I personally thank you from the bottom of my heart for working on this project with me. I'm honored to have this time with you. We at CarrieFairfield.com wish you the best of luck at Miss Gay USofA. You have the last word baby - the floor is all yours. Well thank you and your readers very much! I hope that I do you all proud! It's so weird actually competing for Miss USofA after emceeing the last 3 years, but I'm really looking forward to it - being over! [She laughs.] Getting ready for competition is soooooo stressful because I know what people expect of me and I don’t want to let anyone down. I have such a wonderful group of supporters, who truly believe in me. A lot of times I want to give up, but I think about how much they have invested in me and it makes all the difference. I may go on stage alone but I take so many others with me - which again reminds me of just how blessed I am. I've been able to travel all across the country and I've met so many wonderful people. My life has been enriched with more than I could ever imagine! "Praise God from whom all blessings flow." This journey I call life is wonderful. I've been given opportunities that many can only wish for. Thank you to all of you who have lifted me up and even those who have tried to keep me down - because of you I am me and this is something that I can never forget - and something that I'm grateful for: I am Kelexis Davenport and I endorse this interview! [She laughs.]
"I can look flawless and so fishy on the stage - then you hear my voice and realize you can't put EVERYTHING on a Visa card."

Crystal Chante during Onstage Question - 1996 Miss North Carolina America Pageant

"Lights, camera, and me without a stitch of make-up on!"

Becki Leaman

#2 pageantguy

pageantguy

Diva

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,339 posts

Posted 27 April 2008 - 01:23 PM

I LIVE FOR THIS GIRL! Kelexis was one of the very first entertainers in Dallas to be there for me as a male competitor and then again when I decided to try my hand at female impersonation. Her heart is bigger than the state of texas, her ablities are above and beyond anything I've ever been blessed to encounter, and her career is setting up to be one that legends are made of.
Bob, thank you for bringing this to the masses, and letting others see the wonderful human that is behind the illusion. I am thankful I can call this amazing person a friend!
BEST OF LUCK AT MISS USofA KELEXIS. YOU WILL ALWAYS BE SOMEONE VERY SPECIAL AND DEAR IN MY LIFE!

#3 Mystique

Mystique

Goddess

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,000 posts
  • Drag Name:Mystique

Posted 27 April 2008 - 01:36 PM

Another great interview!!

I love this one! It was hilarious!

Very Interesting and I didn't want to stop reading.

Good Luck to Kelexis at USofA!!
MYSTIQUE
Mr FL Unlimited @ Large 2010
Mr NC Unlimited @ Large 2009

www.twitter.com/mystiquenc

www.myspace.com/mystiquenc

www.facebook.com/Mystique.Nc

#4 Android

Android

Goddess

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,522 posts

Posted 27 April 2008 - 02:15 PM

I would love to see some of these "Drag Schools" leaked on youtube I am sure it is a fun time!

I love kelexis she is truely a class-act!

I'm not a 100 dollar bill not everyone is going to like me!

#5 txcraigann

txcraigann

Diva

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 548 posts

Posted 27 April 2008 - 03:01 PM

Great interview. Kelexis is doing an AWESOME job as Miss Texas USofA. She has done everything that is expected of her and more. She has worked with promoters, contestants and me flawlessly. She has grown so much as a person also this year. Putting other people's concerns and problems before hers. That is a TRUE title holder.

She has had to bite her tongue a couple of times this year and I really appreciate that. It is not easy being Miss Texas USofA. People are always watching you and judging you. I give Kelexis an A+ for her job performance. I hope in August when she crowns her successor that I will have the confidence in that person that I have in Kelexis to do the right thing. I will be forever grateful for the job that Kelexis has done this year. I will always call her FRIEND !!

Good luck at Miss USofA. I love you.

Craigann

#6 Danny

Danny

Goddess

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,550 posts

Posted 27 April 2008 - 03:27 PM

I just love Kelexis....The first time I met her she instantly started speaking to me as if we had been pals for years and made me so comfortable. I see nothing but greatness for her!!! Great interview Bob!

Tell the truth and you'll always remember what you said....

#7 Lex

Lex

Goddess

• Charter
  • 2,842 posts

Posted 27 April 2008 - 04:29 PM

Kelexis is definitely one of the kindest, caring and sweetest people I have ever met. She has an amazing maternal instinct and always down to Earth and REAL. I absolutely adore her and wish her the best of luck, not only at US of A in May, but in life in general.

Oh, and I MUST give my homegirl props--she has impeccable fashion sense and she is not scared of cosmetics. What can one say? She is THE O.G. Davenport..."she loves to drag and it shows".

I love you K,

Alex

Edited by Lex, 27 April 2008 - 04:30 PM.

#8 RobJr

RobJr

Goddess

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,567 posts
  • Drag Name:Becca

Posted 27 April 2008 - 06:30 PM

I love the kind heart that Kelexis has always giving and getting a big return. I hope that she become the new Miss Gay USofA 2008. Kelexis you have a huge fan base and you could never disappoint us keep up the good work.

KELEXIS DAVENPORT FOR USofA!!!!!!!

Love
Robert
"Love Don't live here anymore"

#9 GeGE

GeGE

Amateur

• Pip
  • 27 posts

Posted 27 April 2008 - 07:21 PM

She is a bad bad :censored: , when I see her in battle she is always ready and loaded with a win in her sight. This interview was good but it just makes me more eager to go to USA, God Bless this woman

#10 Peney

Peney

Diva

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 518 posts
  • Drag Name:Jacqueline Pen�éy

Posted 27 April 2008 - 09:33 PM

this was an excellent interview, Great Work...
♥
Jacqueline R. Hall Penéy

#11 SuperNova

SuperNova

Drag Princess

• PipPipPip
  • 113 posts

Posted 27 April 2008 - 11:58 PM

WOW!! A great Interview! :censored:

I can't wait to have Miss Davenport as our Emcee for Supernova AL!! :D

I thought i was excited for the pageant only a few months away! Boy, was i wrong, i wish the pageant was tomorrow!!

can't wait to have the Queen of Texas in Illinois for a few nights! May God continue to bless you with everything you do!! :angel:

Peace&Love

Andy

#12 Arabia

Arabia

Goddess

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,990 posts
  • Drag Name:arabia knight addams

Posted 28 April 2008 - 04:53 AM

:censored: :D :angel: :up: :up: :up: :up:

MISS UNLIMITED 2010-2011
MISS
NATIONAL ICON 08-09 -"NOT JUST NATIONAL, BUT A NATIONAL ICON"
" Sometimes the best things happen by mistake" (Paula Dean)
facebook.com/arabiaknight-addams

#13 Khrystal Leight

Khrystal Leight

Drag Princess

• PipPipPip
  • 230 posts
  • Drag Name:Khrystal Leight

Posted 28 April 2008 - 10:58 AM

I love Kelexis! She is real, down to earth and one amazing entertainer!
Smooches, Khrystal Leight
Miss Missouri USofA 2008-09
Miss Pyramid City USofA 2007-08
Miss Great Lakes USofA at Large 2006-07
Miss Rocky Mountain USofA at Large 2005-06
Miss Missouri USofA at Large 2004-05
Miss Missouri Continental Plus 2000

#14 azunique

azunique

Diva

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 708 posts
  • Drag Name:azunique

Posted 28 April 2008 - 05:54 PM

I am so fortunate to say that I am one of the students of Kelexis' drag class .. Once I started practicing under her tutelage , my makeup skills grew by leaps and bounds .... Some of the people that knew me when I 1st started, still can't believe their eyes!! I am so glad my granny decided to finally do this interview... Now people can see the true DAVENPORT and what we as lesser Davenports aspire to !! SHe truly loves her craft and her family !!!! She also dont mind sockin these bi!@#$ in the skinny pageants ....

Azunique Nicole Davenport
Miss Dallas FFI @ large '08
facebook Azunique D Larue
Daughter of the Legendary and Beloved LAYLA LARUE!! Miss TC's Texas Usofa @ large 2011
Miss Dallas FFI @ Large '08
Texas EOY 1st RU

#15 MarcAngelo DeMornay

MarcAngelo DeMornay

Drag Princess

• PipPipPip
  • 114 posts
  • Drag Name:MarcAngelo DeMornay

Posted 28 April 2008 - 07:59 PM

Oh WOW...what a BEAUTIFUL interview! I've seen the FACE many times, but never experienced the GRACE that is Kelexis Davenport! And now it is such a pleasure to say that I learned something about her and more about The Artform!
I am...SIMPLY MarcAngelo

"GLAMOUR can be bought...STYLE - this must be taught." - Club 69

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users